How carefully do you keep toxic substances out of reach of your dog?
Dogs are considered members of the family for most Americans and they have more in common with their smallest members of their family .... toddlers, than you might think. Neither can read, comprehend mortality or thinks twice before putting something in their mouths.
While most parents try to stay vigilant when it comes to their kids and toxic hazards, pet owners should take the same precautions.
In 2013, the Animal Poison Control Center, which is run by the ASPCA, fielded around 180,000 calls concerning pets that were exposed to or ingested potentially toxic substances. Most cases could have been prevented if dog owners had been more proactive.
The top 10 hazards for 2013
- Prescription human medications
- Over-the-counter human medications
- Household items, from cleaning products to paint
- Human food (other than chocolate) that is toxic to dogs
- Veterinary medications
- Lawn and garden products
Potentially Toxic Plants to Dogs
- Sago Palm
- Castor Bean
- Autumn Crocus
- English Ivy
- Peace Lily
Potentially Toxic Foods to Dogs
- Yeast Dough
- Macadamia Nuts
Common sense and vigilance will help prevent many cases of accidental poisoning, but if you suspect your dog has ingested something toxic, err on the side of caution and call your vet right away or call the ASPCA Animal Control Center at 888.426.4435 (a $65 consultation fee is charged that covers the initial call and all follow-up calls).